Miss Bailey's Journal

We want to keep our family and friends up-to-date on our little Miss Bailey.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

GI Appt - No results...yet

March 27, 2007
GI Appt - No results...yet

Ahhh, I was sooo nervous today about what to expect with this appointment. I can't believe he didn't have the results yet. Oh wait, sure I can believe it. It's worse than finding out something, I still know nothing. The results of Bailey's ph probe are floating around at the hospital. He should be calling me back by or on Friday with those results. If I don't hear from him by then, I call his assistant Monday for a status update.

It was nice of him to sit and talk with me for a few minutes. We need to know if Bailey still has acid and if it is at a level that needs medicating. If she needs meds, it presents a much larger problem. She cannot take meds orally. So we will need to work together to figure out another way of getting the meds into her. Typically babies with Bailey's issues are all tube fed by now. However, she is thriving using her bottles with the Nutren Jr. formula. So she doesn't need a tube for feedings. I asked about slowly transitioning her by adding a small amount of meds in each bottle but he is concerned about her possibly rejecting all bottles due to the meds being in there. Also if she still has acid, she will need the endoscopy to see what is going on in there. At first, it was supposed to be the other way around, if the ph probe was negative, then the endoscopy but after talking today, he has changed it. If the probe is negative, then her reflux has resolved and the assumption is that her issues are all behavioral problems now.

And in closing I realized I made a mistake! I had no idea before but perhaps this is why Dr. Christiannse didn't talk much with us at our last evaluation. I was a bit put off by her this past appointment and felt really neglected and hopeless. The GI doctor said that usually patients will see either him or Dr. Christiannse, not both at the same time. Now see, I had no idea. I went to Bailey's ped for help before our next evaluation because Bailey was regressing and not making progress and I was concerned. So I suppose I should have gone directly to Dr. Christiannse instead. However when I try to talk with her on the phone, I can never seem to express my urgency well enough and never see any results. Oh well, lesson learned. Anyway, the GI doctor said that Bailey is a unique patient and it may take both of them to figure out how to treat her is she still has acid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home